Park.edu Home > Recycling > Recycling Procedures
Recycling Procedures at Park University
Updated March 13, 2009
The following procedures apply to the new Park University ("Park") Recycling Program ("Recycling Program"). They are based on the conditions and requirements imposed by the funder, Mid-American Regional Council Solid Waste Management District ("MARC") as part of the recycling grant ("MARC Grant") awarded to Park for the 2009 calendar year.
1) Students will collect recyclables at their desk or in their dorm room. Park cannot provide deskside or dorm room recycling bins with MARC Grant funds.
2) University departments and offices may collect the recyclables by any manner they wish: in existing waste containers, in deskside recycling bins they purchase themselves, in empty cardboard boxes, etc.
3) At their convenience, students and employees will take their recyclables to the recycling stations that will be located in the hallway on nearly every floor of every Park building. Each station will have some or all of the following bins:
a) White office paper (office buildings only)
b) All mixed paper
c) Aluminum cans
d) Plastic bottles
In some lower demand areas, a recycling station may only have two of the four bins. However, most floors of most University buildings will have a full set of four bins (office buildings) or three bins (dormitories).
4) As needed (minimally once a week), a Park Environmental Services staff member will empty each floor’s recycling into a set of large wheeled buggies located on the ground floor of each building within a custodial area of the building. Buildings that produce very limited recycling will share a set of buggies with a neighboring building (Meetin’ House and Alumni House, for example).
5) As needed, Environmental Services staff members will facilitate the pick up and replacement of the buggies by a recycling hauler and/or transport the buggies to an approved storage area in the underground for pickup.
6) A dumpster designed specifically for collecting cardboard recycling will be located behind Thompson Commons. Cardboard boxes must be collapsed or “broken down.” Students and employees are asked to transport their cardboard to the Commons and insert them in the slot in the cardboard dumpster for recycling.
7) Downtown students and employees will follow similar procedures. Their buggies will be transported to the Parkville campus weekly by the mailroom staff or other staff members as available. The coordinator for recycling at the downtown campus is Kecia Harrison, who can be reached at (816) 559-5616 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8) Questions about the Park Recycling Program should be directed to Angie Peterson at phone number (816) 584-6510 or email at email@example.com.