Park University alumni from across the country and their families will converge on the University’s Parkville Campus for Homecoming Weekend 2017, Thursday through Saturday, Sept. 14-16.
While a number of activities are reserved for Park alumni and their families, many events are open to the public. These include (events with ticketed admission are noted):
FRIDAY, SEPT. 15
• Park University Alumni Association Awards Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. at the Courtyard by Marriott Kansas City at Briarcliff, Kansas City, Mo. Tickets are $30 per person or $300 for a table of 10. Three Park alumni and one community leader will be honored:
o Casi Joy McCall, 2012 graduate (who goes by the stage name of Casi Joy), competed in season 12 of NBC’s “The Voice” as a member of Blake Shelton’s team before being eliminated in the live playoffs. McCall, formerly of Smithville, Mo., and now a resident of Nashville, Tenn., will receive the Park Promising Young Professional Award, which recognizes a Park alumnus/alumna who shows exceptional promise of leadership and contribution to their professor and/or community.
o Benny Lee, chairman and chief executive officer of DuraComm, a Kansas City, Mo., company that provides power solutions for durable communication systems, will receive the Torchlighter Award, given to honor individuals who have made significant long-standing contributions and commitment to Park University, whether alumni, faculty or friend. Lee, a resident of Kansas City, Mo. is a former member of Park’s Board of Trustees.
o Walter Pearson, 1990 graduate and a resident of Jefferson City, Mo., retired in February after a 24-year career within the State of Missouri departments and offices, most recently as assistant commissioner of the Missouri Office of Administration. Pearson will receive the Distinguished Alumnus Award which recognizes Park alumni who have distinguished themselves through career service or community achievements.
o Michael Woolstrum, 2012 graduate, will receive the Marlowe Sherwood Award, which recognizes Park alumni for volunteer services to community and civic organizations. Woolstrum, a resident of Round Rock, Texas, is the founder and chief executive officer of Touch International Corp., a provider of custom touch screen display solutions, and he serves as pastor of Baptist Bible Church in Pflugerville, Texas.
• Grand opening of the Park University World War I and Nisei exhibit, 3 to 4:30 p.m., Park Avenue (Mabee Learning Center/Academic Underground)
o The World War I exhibit celebrates the nation’s centennial entering The Great War, and Park University’s students and alumni that served during the War; the Nisei exhibit honors the University’s 75th commemoration of Park President William L. Young enrolling young Japanese-American students.
• Women’s volleyball match vs. Hannibal-LaGrange University, 5:30 p.m., Breckon Sports Center. Admission — $5 general admission; $3 for senior citizens; $2 active military and Park University alumni; Park students/faculty/staff admitted free with valid Park ID card.
• Park University Athletics Wall of Honor Induction Banquet and Unveiling, 7 p.m., Park Avenue (Mabee Learning Center/Academic Underground). Tickets are $35 per person. Honorees will be announced later this month at www.parkathletics.com.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 16
• Athletics Alumni Games/Matches
o Women’s soccer, 9 a.m., Hemingway Field
o Women’s basketball, 10 a.m., Breckon Sports Center
o Baseball, 10 a.m., Comfort Field
o Softball, 10 a.m. Park Softball Complex
o Men’s soccer, 10:30 a.m., Hemingway Field
o Men’s basketball, 11 a.m., Breckon Sports Center
o Men’s volleyball and women’s volleyball, 4:30 p.m., Breckon Sports Center
o Track and field / cross country, 5 p.m., Park Track Complex
• Pirate Storytelling, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Norrington Center
• Barbecue lunch, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., University’s 6th Street Entrance. Tickets are $10 per person.
• Women’s soccer and men’s soccer matches vs. Central Baptist College, Julian Field. Admission — $5 general admission; $3 for senior citizens; $2 active military and Park University alumni; Park students/faculty/staff admitted free with valid Park ID card.
o Women’s match, noon
o Presentation of Class of 2017 Athletics Wall of Honor, 2 p.m.
o Men’s match, 2:15 p.m.
o Crowning of Homecoming Court, halftime of men’s match, approximately 3 p.m.
For more information or to purchase tickets for the Alumni Association Alumni Awards luncheon, Wall of Honor banquet and/or barbecue lunch, visit www.park.edu/homecoming or contact the University’s Office of Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org / (816) 584-6209.