Coming to Park

If you’ve been admitted to Park University, congratulations! Here are materials that will help you plan your travel, housing and enrollment.

Pre-Departure Fact Sheet for International Students

I-20 Form

A Form I-20 is a government form that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status. It certifies the following facts:

  • You are or expect to be a "bona fide" student.
  • You meet our admissions requirements.
  • You will pursue a full course of study.
  • You proved to us that you have enough money to study and live in the U.S. without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

Once you are admitted to Park University, you will receive an email notification with your scanned I-20 form attached. Your admission packet along with your original I-20 form will be mailed out as soon as it is ready. You will receive a notification when we mail out your I-20 packet.


The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has implemented a fee of $200 for maintaining your Student and Exchange Student Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record/I-20 and it must be paid before you will be allowed an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in your country.

There are several ways to pay your SEVIS I-901 fee, and we recommend you pay it online. This method will immediately provide you with a receipt, printable from your computer. You must pay this fee, and you must have your receipt before applying and receiving your student visa at the U.S. Embassy. You will need the information from your Form I-20 to fill out the Form I-901.

SEVIS I-901 Fee Fact Sheet
More Information on SEVIS Fee

Getting a Visa

When you receive an I-20 and admission letter from Park, go to the U.S. Embassy/ Consulate and present the documents along with a valid passport and proof of financial support. The consular will stamp the Visa (F-1) in your passport and return the I-20 to you. You may wish to ask for a "Multiple Entry" stamp if you plan to leave and reenter the U.S. during your period of study.

At the port of entry to the U.S., an immigration inspector will stamp the I-20 and issue an I-94. The I-94 will specify your length of stay in the U.S.

When you use an I-20 issued by Park University to secure an F-1 Visa, you must report to Park for initial registration by the report dated listed on the I-20. You may not apply for transfer to another college or university until you complete one semester at Park University.

Student Visa Fact Sheet
More Information on Student Visas


If you are under 21 and a full- time student, you are required to live on campus. You are only eligible to live off campus if:

  • You’re living with your parents, legal guardians, or dependent children. You have 58 or more credit hours prior to the first semester of attendance.
  • There are two co-educational residence halls at Park: Chesnut Hall and Copley Quad. You will need to complete an application. For more information, visit Residence Life and Education.

Note: You must complete your application, sign a contract and submit your deposit on-line at your earliest convenience to receive an early housing assignment.

Please be prepared to live with a roommate and use shared bathroom and shower facilities. Rooms come equipped with a bed, a desk, closet and a chest of drawers. The rooms do not come with hangers, towels or bedding (sheets, blankets and pillows). You will need to provide these on your own. We will have sets available for purchase for approximately $40 USD. (Please indicate on the airport pick-up list if you will be purchasing a set from us.) Rooms come with Internet and telephone connection, but you need to provide your own telephone and computer. You will also need to purchase any additional furniture or household items.

Registering for Classes

After meeting with your advisor and selecting your classes, you must pay tuition and fees. You should take care of all financial issues with your bank prior to leaving your country so that you will have the amount necessary to settle your account at registration. Park University's preferred method for receiving international payments is through peerTransfer. It is lower cost and allows us to quickly receive and post international payments such as wire or bank transfers.

Pay now


On the first day of orientation you will need to bring your passport and all entry documents to the International Student Services Office in Herr House, 1st Floor, Room 3. Bring the following:

  • Passport
  • Form I-20
  • I-94 Card
  • All official transcripts

The earlier your arrival, the better your class selection will be since classes fill up early.

Travel Preparation Fact Sheet
ISI Friendship Partner Application Form

Compass Placement Test

During the week of orientation/registration, you will be required to take placement tests in English and Math. (Even though you may have submitted the required minimum TOEFL score, your language abilities will be tested and may result in you being recommended for additional English language classes.) Following the test, we will arrange for your registration with an academic advisor.

Note: Freshmen and students admitted on probation are not eligible to register for accelerated classes (8-week weekend /evening programs), until they change their current academic designation.

Traveling to Park

You may arrange to have us pick you up at the airport only if you are living on campus. Note that if you are flying in, you will need to connect into Kansas City International Airport (MCI). Public transportation is limited from the airport.

If you need a ride from the airport and are living on campus, please complete the airport pick-up form. We will not be able to pick you up we have your complete travel information and a copy of your travel itinerary. Each student will be charged a $10 fee for airport pickup. You must complete the following:

Transportation from Airport Request Form
Hold Harmless Agreement Form
Emergency Contact Info


Consult your accounting letter to see how much you will need to wire prior to arrival or to pay upon arrival for tuition, room and board. You must have money for furniture, bedding, clothing, textbooks, school supplies and personal items. We advise that you carry at least $150 in cash for the orientation process, which includes room and board, bedding and airport pick-up. It would be wise to bring extra money with you, if possible. You will need to purchase books and certain personal items soon after your arrival or, if you plan to arrive 30 days early, to pay for lodging and food during that time.

Carry only enough cash to cover your meals during your flight and to make emergency telephone calls and other necessary purchases. (If you plan on carrying the minimum amount needed to complete your registration, please have this in travelers checks unless you have already wired your funds per Park University instructions, see below.) Please note that your fees must be paid in full at registration.

International Payments

Health Care and Insurance

All students are required to purchase medical insurance upon enrollment. Even though the insurance does not cover 100 percent of all costs incurred, coverage generally pays for a large percentage of costs for illnesses that may occur.

What to Pack

Temperatures in Missouri range from -20F to 100F (-15C to +40C). Be sure to pack warm-weather and cold-weather clothing and everything in between. Because dorm rooms do not come with bedding or towels, we encourage you to purchase those items from us upon your arrival to save space in your luggage.

And, since luggage sometimes gets lost or arrives late, we suggest that you pack a change of clothes, all of your important documents and personal items into a carry-on bag.