Students majoring in Social Work are required to apply to the BSW Program. This is a separate process from declaring a Social Work major. BSW program applications are reviewed and approved or denied by the BSW Admissions Committee.
The admission requirements for the BSW program are as follows:
- Completion of 60 credit hours of college coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher. GPA is computed on all college credit, transfer and Park University.
- Two letters of reference, one of which must be a college/university social work faculty member; the second letter may be from a faculty member or another person known in a professional capacity.
- Successful completion of Park University’s Writing Competency Test (WCT).
- Completion of the following courses with a grade of “C” or better: SO 141 Introduction to Sociology; PS 101, Introduction to Psychology; MA 120 Basic Concepts of Statistics; SW 205, Introduction to Social Work; and EN 306b, Professional Writing. Students must also complete two semesters of one Modern Language (Spanish is preferred).
- Completion of all required materials in the Bachelor of Social Work admission packet, which includes a personal narrative and values statement that relates the student’s interest, experiences and goals in the social work profession.
In accordance with CSWE accreditation standards, the BSW program does not grant course credit for previous work or life experiences.