Information and Computer Science
ICS Curriculum Changes
The following list shows the more significant curricular changes that become official Park policy starting in June 2012 with the advent of the 2012-2013 catalog.
- Remove CS368 Distributed Computing from the catalog (since it overlaps CS322 Web Programming II).
- Update the IS310 Business Applications course.
- We've added a Computer Networking Certificate program, which prepares students to pass the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) exam.
The following list shows changes that became official Park policy starting in June 2011 with the advent of the 2011-2012 catalog.
- MA150 Precalculus Mathematics: prerequisite MA135 → prerequisite MA125
- CBIS degree: CS360 → IS361
- CS360 Database Management has been removed from the course catalog. The standard substitution will be IS361.
- IS317 Systems Analysis and Design has been removed from the course catalog. The standard substitution will be IS315.
- IS320 Object-Oriented Modeling has been removed from the course catalog. The standard substitution will be IS316.
- In the ICS networking specialty area, the original 3-course sequence of CCNA courses has been expanded to a 5-course sequence:
CS365, CS366 (1-credit lab course), CS371, CS372, CS385
The following list shows changes that became official Park policy starting in June 2010 with the advent of the 2010-2011 catalog.
- As requested by the campus centers and the administration, we've made changes to Park's algebra curriculum:
- Remove MA 131 College Algebra from the catalog.
- Add MA 125 Intermediate Algebra to the catalog. MA 125's content will match the content in Park's old MA 131 course.
- Add MA 135 College Algebra to the catalog. MA135's content will match the content found in standard United States college algebra courses.
- We've changed prerequisites for several of our courses:
- For CS 151, change the MA 131 prerequisite to MA 125.
- For CS 208, change the MA 131 prerequisite to MA 125.
- For CS 219, change the MA 131 prerequisite to MA 125.
- Park is now a Cisco Networking Academy. As such, we've added a 3-course sequence that prepares students to take the Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) exam. The three relevant courses are CS365 Computer Networking, CS371 Internetworking, and CS372 Advanced Networking.
- We've modified our ICS Bachelor of Science degree. The most significant changes to it are:
- The CCNA 3-course sequence will be part of the Networking and Security specialty area.
- The Systems Analysis specialty area will be eliminated due to its overlap with the Management/Computer Information Systems (M/CIS) degree, which is under the purview of Park's School of Business.
- We've added an ICS Associate of Science degree. The ICS A.S. degree will be offered through these programs: School of Online Learning, School of Extended Learning (selected campuses), Kansas City Accelerated.
- The Computer Science B.S. and A.S. degrees will be omitted from the 2010-2011 catalog. Current Computer Science B.S. students may continue as is with their degrees or they may switch to the ICS B.S. degree with a computer science specialty area. Current Computer Science A.S. students may continue as is with their degrees or they may switch to the ICS A.S. degree.