Certificate in Urban Development
About the Professional CertificateAvailable: Kansas City Area
- Are you interested in learning more about influences shaping economic development and urban growth?
- Do you want to understand what factors contribute to the quality of life in urban settings?
- Are you interested in learning more about public, private and not for profit sector economics?
- Do you want to be more prepared for professional opportunities in urban development, planning or public management?
If so, then the Professional Certificate in Urban Development may be for you! Earn credit toward an Urban Development Professional Certificate or three credit hours toward your M.P.A. Degree!
Park University's Hauptmann School of Public Affairs, in conjunction with Mid-America Regional Council, is proud to offer a three-credit hour professional certificate program in urban development. Current Park M.P.A. students can complete the courses, earning a professional certificate in the process, and apply those credits toward their 36-hour M.P.A. degree. Community participants will receive a certificate in Urban Development upon completing all three hours of course work.
The Professional Certificate Program is focused on the public/private urban development agenda. Current local and national projects provide the lessons for the coursework. Case study, speakers, and simulations are some of the methods employed to explain the guiding principles of urban development. Readings highlight significant technical and historical perspectives. The heart of the program, though, is discussion and direct contact with professionals active in urban development - Urban developers, public officials, design professionals, lawyers, planners and community members. More than "how to," the curriculum is designed to present the right questions for consideration. These sessions are designed to balance the philosophical with the practical application of urban development. The successful candidate emerges with a balanced perspective of the integration of public, private, and non-profit trends that direct urban growth.
Learning OutcomesStudents who have successfully completed this course will:
- Learn the fundamentals of urban public policy planning.
- Comprehend the real estate development planning process.
- Understand the professional culture of public, private and tax-exempt developers.
- Demonstrate how the planning context influences urban development projects and policies.
- Understand the political, social and economic agenda for urban development.
- Know how the urban development process is responsive to various styles of leadership and how to work effectively with those leadership styles.